Week 1 Tuesday June 23rd 12-1pm ET
(every Tuesday at 12-1pm ET. Use Zoom link on ‘CLASSES’ page)
Antagonist Action (7 Types of Conflict)
Place of work
Attacked by mean girl (Character v person)
Poor decision due to low confidence (Ch. v self)
Non-human (animal, machine, ghost)
Place of education
Abandoned/saved by fate/God(s) (Ch. v fate)
Thwarted/assisted by hurricane (Ch. v nature)
Tricked by animal, machine, ghost (Ch. v non-human)
Obstacle posed by soldier (Ch. v society)
Discovered by mage (Ch. v supernatural)
Please note: these story starters were inspired by a similar idea from Anne Helmstadter, founder of Immersed in Story. I highly recommend Anne’s system of analyzing stories and the community of supportive writers she leads on Facebook. She’s an author, storyteller, and writing coach who worked for 10+ years as a senior development executive in Hollywood, working with major studios like Universal, Warner Brothers, Fox, Sony, Paramount and DreamWorks.
- Alistair had grown accustomed to getting his own way.
- I won’t lie, it wasn’t the first time I had…
- Every summer, I visited my grandmother in London until the year…
- People trust me with their X, but they really shouldn’t.
- Lindsay knew better than to…
- Dozens of people have died trying to find…
- So I suppose you want to know how I solved the case.
- The world is full of people who despise…
- I would have lived longer but for…
- Graham found me appealing but, for his own sake…
- Aunt Kathy was famous for…
- It wasn’t so much what they/she/he said as the way they/she/he said it.
- It was the biggest heist of the century.
- Grandma was arrested for X, but her real crime was never discovered. Until now.